Other Minnesota State and Local Government sites | Employment Opportunities | Home

Local governments are required to file Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form W-2 to report employee wages, tips, and other compensation. In addition, entities need to file Form 1099-MISC for non-employees (e.g., independent contractors) who received $600 or more for their services. The forms must be submitted to the recipient of the income and to the IRS.

Consult with your attorney if you are uncertain whether a person is an employee or an independent contractor. The IRS website also contains considerable information on this topic at:: http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq/0,,id=199973,00.html. In addition, the IRS may be contacted directly about any specific situation.

Date this Avoiding Pitfall was most recently published: 01/16/2015

Privacy Policy | Accessibility Information | © 2018 Office of the Minnesota State Auditor